*Holiday Stories

It’s Independence Day

Our Fourth of July weekend was very nice. Lowell’s parents and his sister, Kateri, came up for a few days after they flew back to JFK from Lourdes, France where they spent a week in, what Lowell’s dad called “the most awe inspiring experience in his whole life.” They came up Thursday evening and stayed until Saturday morning, and told us so many incredible stories and things about their trip that I want to go there even more than I want to go to Rome. They went with a group called North American Volunteers. Check out their site http://www.lourdesvolunteers.org/, it’s pretty incredible and full of great info.

Samm came up Friday evening to hang out with us for a week or so to get away from the everyday grind. Since Lowell was working the 2-midnight shift, she and I took the kids to Downtown Saratoga to hang out and watch the fireworks show. The kids enjoyed running around and playing with other kids near the duck pond while Samm and I hung out on a blanket with George and chatted with a few moms we met up with. We got there around 6:00, and the fireworks didn’t start until 9:30 but I wanted to get easy-in, easy-out parking, and to get a good spot on the grass to see everything.

I was a little anxious about the kids and what they’d think about fireworks because this was pretty much the first time Faith would have seen them, and definitely the first time for Felicity and George. So, 9:30 finally arrived, and so did the fireworks :) I held George and Faith sat next to me while Samm held Felicity. Faith thought they were the coolest thing ever and loved all the colors and the display. Felicity…well, she wasn’t quite so sure. At first she was okay with them, but one big, loud one went off and she was done after that. HaHaHa! So, Samm covered her ears with her (Felicity’s) blanket to ease the sound which in turn made the experience a bit more enjoyable for her. And, George was in awe. It was so cute: he sat perfectly still in my lap while sucking away on his thumb, and every so often, when there was a big, loud one, he would blink his eyes real fast and pull his thumb out a tad as his eyes got bigger. Then, the fireworks would “quiet down” and he’d go right back to what he was doing. It was such a fun experience to see all their faces and to talk about it with them all the way home. There was some speculation before the show started that it wasn’t a great display, but I thought it was very well done. It was the first show I’d seen since Lowell and I went to Disneyland on our honeymoon. If you haven’t seen Disneyland fireworks, you are missing out!

Anyway, we got home and got the kids tucked into bed by 10:45. It turned out to be such a beautiful day, and an incredible experience on so many levels to spend with the kids. I hope you had a great day, too!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s